Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My poem Scars

Scars

They gave us a scar
That colored our world yellow
That left a mark on our hearts
That made us different from the rest
They gave us a yellow scar.

They gave us a scar
That colored our world black and blue
That left a mark on our skin
That separated us from the rest
They gave us a black and blue scar.

They gave us a scar
That colored our world red
That left a mark on our lives
That set our souls free from our bodies
They gave us a red scar.

But some scars can be prevented
Because scars can’t appear
If the mark isn’t made
If the damage isn’t done.
What one of us did
Was not for fame
Glory or wealth
What they did was for us
What they did was for all.

They set it up carefully
They thought long and hard
They suffered many nights
Looking at their scars.

They told us what to do
They assured us they’d come too
But somehow we knew
We knew that wasn’t true.

We stole away
Our scars, if any, hidden
While they stayed behind
While they who helped us escape
Paid their punishment in blood.


I am only one person
But my scars are the scars of my people
What happens to me happens to us all
And the one who let me live
The one who saved my life
Saved the life of my people
They saved us all.

1 comment:

Nioki said...

I read from your previous post that this poem's about the holocaust - it really is inspirational, especially as it could be a poem about every struggle a group of humanity has faced. It's brilliant :)